A valid driving license is a document which allows you to drive a motor vehicle and is an essential document as per motor vehicles act. If you are a resident of Delhi and wish to obtain a driving license, then you need to understand some points regarding the same.
Types of driving license
In order to obtain a permanent driving license, it is imperative to possess a learning license. Learning license allows you to learn driving and is valid for a period of 6 months.
Permanent license can be applied for after you have learned driving skills and are competent to drive a motor vehicle. The following types of permanent driving license are issued in Delhi.
- Motor cycle without gear
- Motor cycle with gear
- Light motor vehicle
- Light motor transport vehicle
- Medium passenger vehicle
- Medium goods vehicle
- Heavy goods vehicle
- Heavy passenger motor vehicle
You need to fulfill certain eligibility criteria before applying for a permanent driving license in Delhi.
- The age of the applicant should be at least 18 years. Persons below the age of 18 are not eligible for a driver’s license.
- The applicant must possess a valid learner’s license.
The following documents are required for applying for a permanent driving license in Delhi.
- Driving license application made in Form No. 4
- For transport vehicles, certificates in Form 5, 14 and 15 are required.
- Passport size photographs
- Valid learner’s license for the class of vehicle for which the application is being made by the applicant.
- Any document validating the address of the applicant such as voter id card, ration card, certified copy of the voter’s list, passport or a 6 months old LIC policy.
- Any document proving the age of the applicant such as a birth certificate, attested copy of the passport, educational certificate or a certificate issued by the employer if the applicant is in service with a local, state or central government department.
How to apply online for driving license
Online mode is available for applying for driving license in Delhi. You need to follow the below mentioned steps to apply for driving license online in Delhi.
- Visit the official website of the transport department of the Delhi government which is delhi.gov.in
- Fill the online application form available on the website. You need to enter various details such as name, father’s name, residential address, educational qualifications, date of birth, place of birth, blood group, identification mark and class of vehicle for which you are applying for a driving license.
- Upload the supporting documents along with your photograph and signature.
- Application number will be generated. Note down the application number.
- Pay the fees online by logging in using your application number and date of birth. Net banking and credit/debit card method are acceptable.
- Book an appointment for a driving test using your application number and date of birth. A date and time for your driving test would be provided.
How to apply offline for driving license
Offline method for applying for driving license is also available in case you are not comfortable with the online method. You need to follow some simple steps for applying offline for a driving license in Delhi.
- Visit the RTO covering your area and get Form 4 for making the application. You can also download the application form from the official website of the transport department of the Delhi government.
- Fill the form correctly and attach your photographs.
- Submit the duly filled form along with all the relevant documents with the RTO.
- Pay the fees and keep the receipt with you.
- Book a slot for the driving test. The payment receipt needs to carried to the driving test.
Process of issuing driving license
After passing the driving test, the RTO will take your biometrics and a photograph would also be clicked. The driving license would be sent by post to your registered address. In some cases, you can get the driving license from the RTO on the same day.
Checking the status of driving license
You can check the status of your driving license by visiting the official website of the transport department of the government of Delhi followed by entering your receipt number and zonal name in the relevant fields. You can also physically visit the RTO to enquire about the status of your driving license.
Santosh Kumar, He is a SEO + Blogger have 12 years of experience in writing tutorial, informative and product reviews topics.