During one of the audits, the government found out that many people had multiple PAN Cards and this was done because of two reasons. It was either done for the purpose of tax invasion or it was done because of the mistake. Whatever the reason may be, the issue was serious and it was hitting the government and economy because of the tax invasion part of the problem. The solution to the problem was indeed simple, and the government was one step away from a solution.
Aadhaar Card uses the biometric details and hence it is not possible for a person to have multiple Aadhaar cards because the system will detect the duplicity of data. In such a case, linking the PAN Card to the Aadhaar Card would solve the purpose for the government as they would only be able to link one PAN Card to the Aadhaar Card. As per the plan, the PAN Cards which are not linked to the Aadhaar Card would be disabled.
So, if you are having a PAN Card then it has become mandatory for you to link the PAN Card with the Aadhaar Card or else the PAN Card will be disabled. You will not be able to pay your taxes or use your PAN Card if that happens.
Recent Notification – Central Board of Direct Taxes
There had been several deadlines for linking Aadhaar Card and PAN Card but because of some or the other issue, the deadline was extended. Another press release was made available by Central Board of Direct Taxes on 31 March 2019 and as per this release, it is mandatory for people to link the PAN Card to Aadhaar Card by 30 September 2019. Apart from this, it is also mandatory for people to submit an Aadhaar Number while they are filing the form for income tax return.
If you have not linked your PAN Card to the Aadhaar Card yet then this is the right time to link the two. One of the reasons for this is the fact that the companies will soon be releasing Form 16 for the people and they can file their income tax return with that. So, to help you out, we decided to share the process to link the Aadhaar Card to the PAN Card. Below are different ways to do that.
All Possible Ways to Link PAN Card to Aadhaar Card
For Registered Users of e-Filing – It is possible for you to login to your e-Filing account and links the PAN Card. This is a relatively long process when compared to other ones but if you wish to follow this then the steps are listed below or else you can opt for the other processes listed in the section below.
- Visit the e-Filing Portal and the link to the portal is incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
- Once you are on the portal, click on Login here and you will be redirected to the login page. Enter your User ID, Password, Captcha Code and then click on Login button.
- Click on Profile Settings from the top menu bar and a drop-down will be displayed. Select Link Aadhaar from this drop-down and you will be redirected to a new page.
- Most of the details on this page will be auto-populated. These details would be Date of Birth, Gender and Name. Verify the details mentioned on the page and enter your Aadhaar number in the designated space.
- Click on Link Aadhaar Button and a message will be displayed which will tell you about the result of the linking process.
For Unregistered Users of e-Filing – If you have not registered on eFilling Portal then follow the process listed below
- Visit the e-Filing Portal at incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in. On the website, click on Link Aadhaar and the link is available on left side of the page. Once you click here, you will be redirected to a new page.
- On the new page, enter your PAN Number, Aadhaar Number, Name on Aadhaar Card and select the appropriate option in the fields. Also, enter the Captcha Code and click on Link Aadhaar Button.
- It should be noted that if your Aadhaar Card only has a year of birth then you need to click on the option corresponding to ‘I have the only year of Birth in Aadhaar Card’
Using SMS – It is possible to link the two with the help of a message and here is how you can do it.
- Type UIDPAN <12 DIGIT AADHAAR CARD NUMBER><10 DIGIT PAN NUMBER>
- Send a message to 567678 or 56161. The keywords are mentioned above. Once the message is sent, the linking will be complete and you will receive a confirmation message.
Manual Linking – As per the notification which was issued by CBDT, it is known that the people can also use the manual process to link the PAN Card and Aadhaar Card. To do this, it is mandatory to visit the service centre of PAN Service Provider, UTIITSL or NSDL. At the service centre, you need to obtain a form for Annexure – I and the form must be submitted to go ahead with the linking process. The charges vary as per the service and if a correction is required in PAN Card then the charges are Rs 110 whereas if the correction is required in Aadhaar Card then the charges are Rs 25.
These were all the possible ways to link the Pan Card to Aadhaar Card. In addition to this, if you are having trouble in linking the two then you must check if the details on your Aadhaar Card matches up with the details on your PAN Card. This means that the name of two cards along with Parents Name and Date of Birth should match. In case of any error, you would have to request a correction for the same. Post correction, you will be able to link the PAN Card to Aadhaar Card.
Santosh Kumar, He is a SEO + Blogger have 12 years of experience in writing tutorial, informative and product reviews topics.