When it comes to healthy foods, Oats are on the top. As we all know, Oats are one of the most nutritious grains that we can add to our diet. Primarily, Oats are known to be free from gluten, which adds them under the category of extremely wholesome food products. There are several ways of eating the Oats; they can be mixed with milk, vegetables, and fruits, which essentially turns it into a wholesome meal. Oats are endlessly healthy and versatile. Oats, as a key source of whole grains, comprises of a unique fiber known as ‘beta-glucan,’ this fiber has the capability to lower the level of high cholesterol. It is also known to eliminate the risk of various cancers. As the oats are rich in fibers, they come under the category of filling meals; this helps people avoid the pre-lunch call to snacking.
The scientific name of Oats is Avena Sativa; they are grown in temperate areas like Canada and the United States of America. Human beings have been lovers of Oats for quite a long time. Also, the Oats are available in various types; they are first steamed, then flattened and sliced to get a variation in their types. You would be surprised by the amazing benefits of eating Oats. Oats consists of a variety of nutrients, proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. The question arises ‘Are there any health risks or disadvantages of eating Oats? Yes, there may be a negative side to eating oats. However, unless you do not have a particular type of allergy to Oatmeal, the reasons for fearing Oatmeal are less. In this article, we will talk about both the advantages and disadvantages of adding Oatmeal to our diet. Let us start with the positive side.
Advantages of Adding Oats to the Diet
There are various health benefits of eating Oats. These are as follows:
- Improves Digestion: As we all know, Oats consists of a high amount of fiber; they act as a boon for digestion. This is because the fibers are known to aid in the regulation of bowel movements, which in turn keeps the digestive system smooth. Beans and pulses take a longer time (approx. 120 minutes) to digest as compared to oats (which require around 90 minutes for digestion). Additionally, Oats can also prevent the problem of constipation, gas, diarrhea, indigestion, irritable bowel syndrome, gas, and whatnot.
- Protects the Heart: Another important thing that oats can do is eliminate the levels of high Cholesterols, which in turn prevents deadly cardiovascular diseases. High levels of Cholesterols have the potential to clog the arteries, which may lead to strokes, heart attacks, and other heart-related diseases. Therefore, adding Oatmeal in your diet can keep you protected from heart problems in the long run.
- Helps Diabetic Patients: One of the most notable advantages of oats is that it has the capability to lower the levels of sugar in the blood. Diabetes is one of the most severe and life-threatening illness, and it can lead to an immense variety of diseases. Therefore, it is essential to prevent oneself from this deadly disease. Since Oats consists of a high amount of Carbohydrates, it slows down the breakdown of sugars in our body. Oatmeal effectively improves health by managing diabetes.
- Improves the health of Skin: This part is everyone’s favorite. Oat is a miraculous food that is rich in anti-oxidants. And all of us know the importance of anti-oxidants in the health of our skin. Anti-oxidants are known as the free-radical scavenger; they trap the harmful radicals from cells. If not expelled from the cells, these free radicals can lead to aging and poor skin health. Apart from that, Oats consists of a compound named ‘Saponins,’ which is a natural skin cleanser. Therefore, in order to get healthy skin, try adding oats in your diet. You will end having clear, glowing, and healthy skin.
- Helps in the prevention of Celiac Disease: Since Oats are free from gluten, it prevents the risk of Celiac disease. Celiac diseases are one of the most dangerous diseases that happen inside our small intestine. Celiac disease reduces the body’s ability of nutrient absorption from food products.
- Helps in Boosting the Immune System: Yes, Oats helps in improving the immune system. The immune system is responsible for creating the main line of defense against infections and diseases. The immune system kills the invading viruses, bacteria, fungi, and other microbes. Hence, it is important to maintain the good health of the immune system. The nutrient named ‘beta-glucan’ is essential in maintaining the health of neutrophils. ‘Beta-glucan’ helps in strengthening the overall immune system. This helps the human body to win the fight against diseases.
Read This Also: How To Eat Oats for Weight Loss
Disadvantages of Adding Oats to the Diet
Now, let us talk about the potential disadvantages of adding oats to our diet. They are as follows:
- May lead to Bloating and Gas: As we all know, Oats consists of a high amount of fiber, eating them may lead to this teeny-tiny side effect, i.e., bloating. This problem mostly happens with people who have been eating whole plant foods since forever. But, once the digestive system gets accustomed to a high load of fiber, consuming oats will not lead to any kind of bloating or gas. We suggest our readers to gradually increase the amount of fiber in their diet.
- The second potential health risk of eating oats is closely related to the first one. The ones who have recently added Oats in their diet may have to make frequent visits to their toilets. However, constipation is one of the most common illnesses in today’s world, so why would someone consider visiting toilets as a problem? According to health experts, frequently visiting the toilets is way better than constipation. It is a good thing and should not be considered a problem. Oats improve the digestive system and hence removes more amount of waste from the body, which is amazing.
- If you have a special health problem and you strictly avoid adding gluten to your diet, then only purchase the oats that are specifically labeled as ‘gluten-free.’ Because sometimes oats become a victim of the cross-contamination that occurs during the procedure of processing (with gluten-containing products, namely barley, rye, or wheat).
Digging into the bowl of Oatmeal in the morning is becoming a fashion. Oats are an amazing source of nutrients; they leave a wholesome result for health. However, also, there are a few negatives of adding oats into the diet. But, the negatives are less, and the positives are too much. We suggest our readers to always ask an expert before many any changes in diet. If you do not have any severe health condition, then do not think much and just start your healthy diet with whole oats. You will end up becoming more healthy and fit. We hope for you to live a healthy life.
Oats Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about oats:
Q. What are oats?
Ans: Oats are a type of cereal grain that is commonly consumed for breakfast. They are high in fiber, protein, and minerals and are considered to be a nutritious food choice.
Q. What are the different types of oats?
Ans: There are several different types of oats, including rolled oats, steel-cut oats, and instant oats. Each type of oat has its own unique texture, cooking time, and nutritional profile.
Q. Are oats gluten-free?
Ans: Most oats are naturally gluten-free, but they can become contaminated with gluten during the growing and processing stages. For people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance, it is important to seek out certified gluten-free oats to ensure that they are safe to consume.
Q. What are the health benefits of oats?
Ans: Oats are a nutritious food that can provide a variety of health benefits. They are high in fiber, which can help to promote healthy digestion, and they are also a good source of protein and minerals such as iron, magnesium, and zinc. Oats have also been shown to have a beneficial impact on heart health, and they may help to regulate blood sugar levels.
Q. How should oats be stored?
Ans: Oats should be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. They can also be stored in the refrigerator or freezer to extend their shelf life.
Q. How can oats be prepared and consumed?
Ans: Oats can be prepared in a variety of ways, including as oatmeal, in baked goods, or in granola bars. They can be cooked with milk or water and topped with fruit, nuts, and other toppings. Oats can also be used as a substitute for breadcrumbs or flour in recipes.
Q. Can oats be consumed by people with food allergies or intolerances?
Ans: People with food allergies or intolerances should be aware of the ingredients in their oats and should seek out certified gluten-free oats if necessary. They should also be aware of other ingredients in the products they consume that may contain oats, such as granola bars or baked goods.
Q. What are the environmental benefits of oats?
Ans: Oats are a sustainable crop that requires fewer resources and less water than other cereal grains. They also have a lower carbon footprint than some other grains and are considered to be an environmentally friendly food choice.
Santosh Kumar, He is a SEO + Blogger have 12 years of experience in writing tutorial, informative and product reviews topics.