Old age pension scheme in India is a scheme that is meant to cover Indians who are either 60 years old or more. They must fall under the poverty line as well. the scheme is named Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme (IGNOAPS). It was initiated to alleviate the suffering of people over the age of 60 who fall under the poverty line. This is a pension scheme that differs from the rest because it is a non-contributory scheme. It is meant to provide financial assistance for the aged and the needy.
Features of the scheme
The salient features of the scheme is that
- It provides financial assistance of up to Rs. 2000 each month.it is meant for applicants who are 60-69 years old.
- In case of SC/Minority/ ST applicants, they are eligible for an additional benefit of Rs.500 over and above Rs. 2000 per month meant for the applicants.
- When a person reaches the age of 70, the amount he would receive through this scheme is Rs. 2500.
- The amount would be transferred to the beneficiaries only through their bank account. That is they will be credited directly through the ECS system of RBI.
Who can apply?- Eligibility Criteria
- To apply for the old age pension scheme meant for those below the poverty line you should be a resident of Delhi state.
- The applicant should be 60 years or over 60 years when he is applying for the pension.
- The annual of the family of the applicant after including all sources of income should not be more than Rs. 1,00,000 per annum.
- The person seeking pension should have an account in a bank in Delhi. it should be an individual account that is operated solely by the applicant.
- Last but not least, the person applying for a pension under this scheme should not receive any financial assistance or any other pension or any benefits in cash from the local bodies.
A point to note is that the applicant’s aadhar number should be linked to the bank account. Only then, the payment made through Aadhar Payment bridge system(APBS) would be credited in your bank account.
How to apply?
- The first step is to obtain the (IGNOAPS) or old age pension scheme application form from the concerned Social welfare officer in Delhi. Website https://edistrict.delhigovt.nic.in/Downloads/ApplicationForm/Guideline_2601.pdf. You can also download the application form from the official website or portal of the Government of Delhi, NCT. You can access the website using citizen login option https://delhi.gov.in/
- You should then fill up the pension scheme form meant for old aged persons.
- It would feature general details like name, address, age, etc. Aadhar number has to be filled up. Ensure that you fill up the aadhar number correctly.
- Once that is done, attach all the records that are necessary for the successful processing of the application. These records would have to be scanned and uploaded with the application form to the concerned social welfare officer in Delhi.
- The welfare officer would scrutinise the records. He may even call you for verification, if required.
- After verification, the pension would be sanctioned.
- In case the pension is sanctioned, you would be receiving it every month in your bank account.
- The transfer mode, however, would be either through the ECS (direct benefit transfer mode) or APBS(Aadhar payment bridge system)
Documents that you have to attach
The documents you have got to attach along with the application form includes
- Address proof – Aadhar card, passport, property tax bill, utility bill etc.
- Identity proof – Pan card, voter ID card, Driving license or anything with photo in it.
- Bank account number, branch and name of the bank.
- Self declaration of the income
- Caste certificate in case the applicant belongs to SC/ST. the certificate must have been issued by a competent authority for the same.
You must be able to produce the originals when you are called for verification.
You can become a beneficiary of the pension scheme by following the simple steps.
Santosh Kumar, He is a SEO + Blogger have 12 years of experience in writing tutorial, informative and product reviews topics.