Bihar produces the maximum number of IAS and IPS officers yet the ground reality is that there are many people who are living below the poverty line in Bihar. It can be really difficult to afford 2 meals a day with such an inflation rate. In such a case, the families living below the poverty line can go ahead and purchase food grains and other commodities from Public Distribution Shops which are set up by the government under the Food Security Act. In Bihar, there are several such shops and all you need is a ration card to get commodities. If you do not have a ration card then you can check for the procedure listed below to apply for the ration card in Bihar.
Eligibility Criteria and Documents Required
Just like the rest of the states of India, the government of Bihar also issues 3 types of ration card to the people. These include BPL Card, AAY Card and APL Card. The benefit of subsidised commodities is given to AAY and BPL Card holders. These benefits are also dependent on the card you hold. If you are a resident of Bihar and if you do not have any other ration card then you can apply for Ration Card in Bihar and you would need the following documents
- Aadhaar Card of all members
- Income Certificate of head of Family
- Passport Size Photograph of all members
You can have the Xerox copy of these documents as you would be required to submit this to the concerned authority.
The process to Apply for Ration Card in Bihar
In Bihar, the process has not been made available online yet so you need to follow the offline procedure to apply for the ration card. Here are the detailed steps to apply for the ration card in Bihar
- To start applying for the ration card, you would need an application form. This form can be obtained from the Circle Office or SDO Office in your area. You can visit any of them to get the form.
- Now, start filling in the form and you need to ensure that you enter all the details in the capital letter. You need to use a ball point pen to fill in these details. All the details that you are entering should also match with the documents that you plan to supply.
- Now, submit the form in the office and before submitting, you need to ensure that you have attached the documents properly to the form. This is an important step.
- The officer at the desk will verify the details in the form and he will also check the documents attached by you. Once this is done, you will be getting an acknowledgement receipt.
Keep the acknowledgement slip safely as this will help you in ensuring that you are able to track the application status in the later days.
What happens after submission of Offline Form?
Once you submit the application form for getting the ration card in Bihar, your application will be forwarded for detailed verification. There would be a multi-layer verification of the application. There are chances that an inspector or an officer is assigned to your application for physical verification as well. Once they submit the report back, the ration card will be issued and delivered to you.
These cards are delivered via Indian post and it should be noted that the total lead time since the submission of an application to delivery of ration card is 15 days.
Steps to Track Ration Card
The Bihar government is still in the process of digitalizing the records. In such a case, you can check and track the status of the ration card by visiting the SDO office or by visiting the Circle Office. They will be able to tell you the status of the card by checking your acknowledgement slip. You must wait 2 days before checking the status of the card since this is the lead time required.
This was all about the procedure of getting the ration card in Bihar. For any other information, you can consult the same SDO office and they will be happy to help you with the information you need.