Working out and staying fit has become an indispensable part of all our daily lives. You can adopt different methods of exercising. While a few people like running outside, a few others consider playing sports as a fun way of staying healthy. There are still others who like to go to the gym and work out on a treadmill. Training on a treadmill offers many health advantages to your body. Having said that, there are a few cons of using treadmills for daily workouts. Realizing that you should be aware of both advantages as well as the disadvantages of using treadmills, here we are with an article named “ Treadmill Advantages and Disadvantages.” So, let us get started with the article.
Advantages of Using a Treadmill:
The following are some of the various benefits of exercising on a treadmill:
- If you are someone who likes to do cardio, then running on the treadmill is your best bet. You can burn the desired number of calories by running on a treadmill efficiently.
- You can choose a treadmill to either run or walk. It is easy and convenient to use the machine.
- As per a few people, running on the streets is a better option than running on a treadmill. There is a natural inclination on the road which makes running outdoors more effective, as per a few people. However, the same is not always the case. There is the option of inclining the treadmill at different percentages. As per experts, a treadmill inclined at 1% will give you the same benefits as running outdoors.
- You are in a better position to adjust to the surface of the treadmill while running. On the road, you might be hindered by boulders, sidewalks, etc. This is certainly not the case for treadmills.
- It is a known fact that you can burn more calories by running on a treadmill than by doing some of the other forms of exercise such as biking, etc.
- A treadmill has several features to offer. Some of those include warm-up, cooling down, heart rate monitors, calorie counts, as well as a few others. Thus, you can easily adjust the treadmill as per your requirements while also keeping a good track of your progress.
- As per a few experts, the belt of a treadmill is easier on your joints. It is much more smooth and consistent. This, in turn, helps to prevent any type of injuries that you might get.
- While exercising on a treadmill, you can watch your favorite show on television. This helps to evade boredom while also helping you burn a higher count of calories.
- One of the best advantages of a treadmill is that the machine can be installed in your home. You can use it to exercise at your convenient time, irrespective of the weather conditions outside.
Disadvantages of Using a Treadmill:
Now that we have seen the advantages of using a treadmill, we should also be aware of its cons. The following are some of the disadvantages of using a treadmill:
- The most common argument against the use of a treadmill for exercising is that working out on a treadmill could be boring. Running on the streets is always more fun and it helps you relax as you get a touch of fresh air. The same might not be true in the case of treadmills. While those in favor of using it might argue that while using treadmills, you can always watch television, or play your favorite music and songs, still it is difficult to avoid looking at the clock. This is in contrast to when you are running outside. Time just seems to fly by and you do not get bored.
- As seen in the advantages section, a treadmill usually gives a cushion to your joints. However, this could also result in you losing your agility. Your body becomes more flexible when you have the habit of running and working out on an uneven surface. This way, the muscles in the body are more adaptable as they continue to make different adjustments. This, in turn, helps to develop coordination between different muscles which might be lacking in a treadmill.
- Similar to the point above is the fact that when you work out on a treadmill, all the muscles are not really at work. It is the belt of the machine that does most of the work. In a treadmill, you cannot work out your glutes and hamstrings, which are important for any efficient workout.
- Most of the people find treadmills to be expensive
- When you exercise on a treadmill, you might be more prone to issues such as back pains, pain in the knee, hips, and the likes. This happens as exercising on a treadmill is known to be a high impact exercising.
- Maintenance of the machine is not an easy task. It needs an expert’s guidance to maintain the machine. Besides, there is always a lurking fear that if something goes wrong, there is a chance of you meeting with an accident.
- As per a few experts, there is a lack of visual appeal when you run on a treadmill. When you are out and running, you can see nature, buildings, etc. which give you the actual feel of running. However, when you are on a treadmill, you do not get the actual feel of running.
- The surface on which you should run on a treadmill is very limited. There are just limited strides and exercises that you can do. The same is not the case when you are running outside. There could be a feeling of being claustrophobic as you are more or less in a constrained space.
- Finally, a few people believe that running on a treadmill can be really distracting. A few machines make a lot of sounds which could lead to distraction.
We hope that after reading the above article, you are now aware of the important advantages and disadvantages that working out on a treadmill has to offer. You should read through each of the above points thoroughly. After understanding what are your requirements, you should choose whether or not you want to go for a treadmill.
Santosh Kumar, He is a SEO + Blogger have 12 years of experience in writing tutorial, informative and product reviews topics.