India is now paying a lot of attention to the young talent in the field of science and technology. The fact is that this youth is the future and hence it also becomes very important to invest in polishing this talent. Keeping this in mind, Indian Institute of Science and Technology announced Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana in 2019. The scheme is to give the scholarship to deserving students and help them in funding higher education. The scheme is restricted to the students who are pursuing a career in the field of science and technology. We have listed all the relevant details about this scheme in this article.
What is the scheme all about?
As per the information made available, the students who are eligible to apply will have to take an exam. Once they qualify the exam, they become eligible for a fellowship from 1st year onwards. As per the notification, the fellowship amount is Rs 5000 per month until the education is complete. In addition to this, the student is also provided with a contingency grant which is capped at Rs 20,000. If the student is pursuing a course which is longer than 3 years or if he chooses to pursue the masters, the student fellowship amount will be increased to Rs 7,000 and the contingency grant will increase to Rs 28,999.
How will the scheme work?
The scheme is valid for the students in 3 streams. These three streams are SA, SX, and SB. SA is for Class XI, SX is for Class XII and SB is for First-year students of Bachelors of Science. It is known that the process includes an aptitude test and an interview. The weightage of aptitude is 75% and the weightage of the interview is 25%. The student needs to clear both the process to be eligible for the scholarship.
After the submission of application, they are evaluated for the eligibility. Once the evaluation is complete, the students are issued the admit cards as per the eligibility. After this, they would need to complete the aptitude test. The results of the aptitude test are announced and then based on the results, the students are asked to appear in the interview.
Once it is done, the scholarship is being credited to students account as per the schedule committed.
What is the Eligibility criteria for the scheme?
There are certain eligibility criteria associated with the scheme. This includes
- The student should be a citizen of India
- The student is eligible for the scholarship if he is pursuing the course B.Sc. / B.Stat / B.S / Int M. Sc / M.S. These courses can be done in any of the field related to science and technology. For more
- For stream SA, the student who is enrolled in class XI should have scored at least 75% in the last year in math and science. There is a relaxation of 10% offered to SC, ST and PWD students.
- For students under SX category, they need to score 75% in math and science in the previous academic year. There is again a relaxation of 10% for special category students.
- For students under the SB category, they need to score 60$ is a previous academic year in math and science subject. The relaxation of 10% is also valid here.
How to apply for the scheme?
The application for KVPY can be submitted from the official website. Post application, the admit cards will be made available from 2nd week of October and the date for the exam is 3rd November 2019. Rest of the details will be announced after the official notification has been published.
The official website for this is www.kvpy.org.in and the form is available online. You need to make the payment of Rs 1000 to process the application as well. You can visit the site http://kvpy.iisc.ernet.in/main/KVPY-Instruction-19.html to start the application procedure online. The payment of the fee can also be made online to complete the registration.
What are the benefits of the scheme?
The main benefits of this scheme are listed below
- This scheme helps in motivating the students to take science. The scheme is certainly something that can help in the development of the country.
- Another important benefit of the scheme is that it provides financial support to the students which eventually helps them in making the payment of the fee.
- The financial support can also help students in enrolling for a master’s level course or to deal with living expense without being a burden on the family.
Is this the way forward for the nation?
This is certainly a good scheme launched bythe Department of Science and Technology. The scheme would help in ensuring that enough talent is generated in the country. The prime area of focus here is science and technology which is the greatest advantage of the scheme.
Santosh Kumar, He is a SEO + Blogger have 12 years of experience in writing tutorial, informative and product reviews topics.