In order to help the needy and in order to ensure that the talented students are not left behind in terms of education for want of funds, the Indian central and state governments have started a number of scholarship programmes and campaigns.
One such programme is the Maulana Azad Scholarship. In this article, we shall deep dive and try to find out more about the Maulana Azad Scholarship.
About Maulana Azad Scholarship?
The Maulana Azad Scholarship is a scheme that has been proposed by the Ministry of Minority Affairs in India. This scholarship is mainly meant for all those students who want to apply and pursue education at the higher level which includes education at the Ph.D. level, post-doctoral level, as well as the Masters level. Besides, students have to study and be involved in subjects related to Social Science, Technology, Humanity, and Engineering. The scheme is for the minority sections of the society comprising of Sikhs, Muslims, Jains, Buddhists, Christians, and Parsi community.
The following are some more details about the Maulana Azad Scholarship programme:
- The Maulana Azad Scholarship is for all gender types.
- Depending on what you choose to study, the benefits that you shall derive as part of the scheme is different and varied.
- If you are an M.Phil student, the benefit derived is for 2 years
- For both M.Phil and Ph.D level, the benefit can be derived by the students for a maximum of 5 years
- For Ph.D too the benefit is for a maximum of 5 years
- It is also imperative to understand what is the benefit that students can derive as part of the Maulana Azad Scholarship. The following are the benefits derived from the programme:
- The fellowship amount is rupees 25,000 per month for the first two years and rupees 28,000 for the rest number of years
- For Social Science, Commerce, and Humanities, the benefit is rupees 10,000 per annum for the first two years and for the remaining time it is rupees 20,500 per annum
- For Science, the benefit is rupees 12,000 per annum for the first two years and for the remaining time it is rupees 25,000 per annum
- If you are a student who needs assistance of some or the other kind, you shall get a benefit of rupees 2,000 per month
- You can also apply to the Maulana Azad Scholarship if you are someone who belongs to the transgender community, if you are able to fulfil the eligibility criteria. Certain seats are reserved for students belonging to this community as well.
What is the Eligibility Criteria?
Students must be aware of the eligibility criteria in order to become a member or beneficiary under the Maulana Azad Scholarship programme:
- If you are a student from any of the communities as mentioned above, only then can you apply under the scholarship programme. You can also apply if you belong to the scheduled caste, schedule tribe, or the other backward class
- You can apply to this fellowship if you are a full-time student of M.Phil., Ph.D. in any of the recognised university or educational institution
- Besides, you should also have a minimum of 50 percent of marks at the time of your post -graduation
- The annual income of the family should, in no circumstance be more than rupees two lakhs and fifty thousand on a yearly basis
- You are able to produce the certificate which ensures that you are a member who belongs to the minority community, after getting it duly signed and attested by a government recognized authority
- Similar to the above point, you should also be able to produce an income certificate to this effect by an authorised signatory
In the section that follows, let us understand how the application form for the scholarship programme can be downloaded and accessed:
- You first need to go to the official website which is as follows: www.maef.nic.in
Then, you need to click on the link which will read as “Apply Online”
- Post that, there is a space where all relevant details and information about yourself, your education, background, etc. should be filled and stated
- All the documents that will support the information as stated above should be uploaded. Some required documents include the following:
- Income certificate
- All the marksheets
- Religion certificate that is duly attested
- Post this, you will have to click on the submit button
- Then, you shall receive a registration number which should be kept handy at all times
- A print out of the form should also be kept with you
Last Date for Application
The last date for application for Maulana Azad Scholarship for the year 2019-20 is 30th September 2018.
Thus, I hope that the above article has been helpful in improving your understanding and knowledge about one of the very prestigious scholarship programmes started by our government called the Maulana Azad Scholarship.
Santosh Kumar, He is a SEO + Blogger have 12 years of experience in writing tutorial, informative and product reviews topics.