Honey is counted among the sweetening items. It also comes with some nutritional values. Most people know that honey is good for health. It can be used to deal with various health problems. The food that is made from bees requires great effort. It is extracted uniquely. The whole work requires immense effort and labor. Even risk is involved for those who are associated with the preparation of honey. Raw honey is extracted from the beehive. Soon after this, filtration is done. Honey is said to be much sweet than sugar. It has high calories in comparison to other sweetening items. One teaspoon of honey has 64 grams of calories. Good quality honey is also rich in zinc, potassium, and iron.
Advantages of Honey
For generations, after generations, honey has been used for having medicinal values. It was also used during ancient times. Many saints used to have honey along with their food.
Some of the main advantages of honey will be discussed in the next line.
- Honey contains antioxidants. Hence it can be used during inflammation. It can be used to treat various types of heart diseases, cancer, and other types of autoimmune diseases. It also increases antioxidant activities in the body.
- It is good at treating various types of digestion problems. It can give immediate relief from an upset stomach and other types of digestion problems.
- We all know that cough and cold are common among kids. However, if they consume honey regularly they can get quick relief from the cold. It is also considered a natural element to get rid of cough. Regular consumption of medicines can bring adverse effects on health.
- In its unfiltered form honey is said to have superior benefits. It contains a good amount of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and enzymes. It can be never harmful.
- Honey has great nutritional values. To be specific, it also contains Vitamin C, magnesium, Phosphorous, and other essential elements.
- Many times honey is used as a substitute for sugar. It can be easily mixed with tea or any other beverages. Honey is much denser than any other sweet items. It can also assist in the quick baking of foods.
- You can also give a good coating of honey on the bread or biscuit to add a new flavor to the food. The kids will love it to a great extent.
Disadvantages of Honey
On the other hand, it comes with certain disadvantages. Although they are small in number but let us discuss some of them.
- Honey is always harmful or risky for children who are less than 1 year old. It is better not to give them honey. The digestive system of the babies may get damaged because of the consumption of honey.
- Many people are prone to allergies. It is better if they do not consume honey. It may give rise to allergies. The growth of allergies is mainly observed because of the bee pollen. What is bee pollen? It is a mixture of pollen bee and digestive enzymes. This may give birth to various types of allergic reactions in the body.
- Honey should be consumed in fewer amounts. Too much consumption of honey may make the body warm. This can also cause a lot of inconveniences to the body. In many cases, the person may seriously get ill. One teaspoon of pure honey is accurate for a major person.
Honey and Blood Sugar
In the present time, a good number of people suffer from high blood sugar issues. To judge the amount of blood sugar in the body various tests are done. Generally, blood sugar is measured by glycemic index or GI. The glycemic index is the way through which you can measure the amount of sugar level in the body.
The only way to test the blood sugar level in the body is to conduct a test before taking food and after having the food. Table sugar has a GI of 60. On the other part, the GI of honey varies from 32 to 69.
So, it is always prescribed to take a very less amount of honey that has a high tendency of blood sugar.
If you are fond of honey you should go with the pure one. The taste of pure honey is completely different from the pasteurized ones. It comes with fewer risks and disadvantages. However, honey is a great sweetening item that is praised by people at all times.
Santosh Kumar, He is a SEO + Blogger have 12 years of experience in writing tutorial, informative and product reviews topics.